Wednesday, April 10, 2013

That didn't go so well ...

Hi everybody,

So I revamped my Esper Jerk deck, evolving it even more towards a draw-go style of deck, and ... well ... I don't know what happened, but it didn't go so well. Here's what I played:

Lands (27):
4 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Island
22 (dual lands)

D00dz (7):
3 Augur of Bolas
2 Snapcaster Mage
2 Restoration Angel

Spells (26):
4 Azorius Charm
2 Devour Flesh
2 Ultimate Price
1 Victim of Night
3 Think Twice 
1 Liliana of the Veil
1 Detention Sphere
1 Tribute to Hunger
2 Dissipate
1 Syncopate
4 Supreme Verdict
1 Jace, Memory Adept
3 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Terminus

Sideboard (15):
1 Dispel
2 Negate
1 Psychic Spiral
1 Sphinx's Revelation
1 Witchbane Orb
2 Rest in Peace
2 Purify the Grave
1 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Planar Cleansing
1 Urgent Exorcism
1 Curse of Death's Hold
1 Duress

Hmmm .. there's an extra card in the maindeck. One of the spells listed wasn't actually in the deck. I don't know which one, actually. Maybe I only played 2 Think Twices? Or 1 Devour Flesh? I don't remember. Oh yeah, so .. Urgent Exorcism. Isn't that adorable? "Destroy target Assemble the Legion, Detention Sphere, Oblivion Ring, or Obzedat." I so wish I could take credit for that. Anyway, here's how the matches went:

Message from Geralf: You will not go unpunished for experiencing Variance.
Round 1: vs. Mono-Black Zombies.
Game one I got kinda flooded. I miracle'd a Terminus at 3 life to get rid of a full of zombies and a Blood Arist, a turn after Dissipating a Mutilate (see what he tried to do there?). Next turn, Geralf's Messenger. I failed to draw a response. Game two I mull'd down to 5 and kept a one-land hand, and didn't draw a second one until it was way too late. 0-1.

3W: Destroy target attacking Acidic Slime.
Round 2: vs. Wolf Run Zegana.
Okay, ya wanna grind? Let's grind. Well, I was looking forward to playing an actual game of Magic, and I got 3 good ones. Well, 2 good ones and another land-screwed game (but not as bad as the previous round). I was able to keep him off his Serenity shenanigans game two just enough to run him out of cards and land a huge Revelation. I was able to stabilize with awesome plays like Supreme Verdict'ing an Acidic Slime, and flashing in a Resto to block a second one. But hey, it stabilized, and he scooped after I landed a huge Revelation and he ran out of gas. Third game was pretty good, but he had just enough countermagic to keep me off my game plan: I believe he countered a sizeable Sphinx's Revelation and a Planar Cleansing. After the latter, he Architect-of-Thought'd into the Kessig Wolf Run he needed to finish me off. 0-2.

My library is getting dizzy ... O.o
Round 3: vs. Esper Control.
Same opponent as last week. These matches are fun. Or maybe just funny? Or both? I don't know. Well, I lost. Game one, he stuck a couple of Restoration Angels, and he countered my attempts to get rid of them. I probably should have tried to get rid of them sooner than I did. Game two was the classic mill race. I landed a Psychic Spiral and Dispel'd his attempt to counter it, but then on his upkeep, he Spiral'd me back. Oh well. 0-3.

So I dropped after that. I wasn't feeling well that day. I didn't sleep well the night before, and work has been strange this week. And after losing three in a row after working on my deck all week and weekend .. it's disappointing. So I cut my losses, went home, played some Xbox, and went to bed.

Moving forward, I don't know what to do with this deck. The Victim of Night definitely needs to not be in the main deck. I think I want it to be Dimir Charm again. Maybe I just need more practice with this version of the deck? Okay, I know I need more practice with it. But is it just familiarity, or is there more to it? Questions.


Well, that's it for now. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment