Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Modern Masters .. or, Stupid Finks, Get Outta My Kitchen!

Hey!

So Modern Masters this last weekend. I typed up a report for a message board that I frequent, so I figured I'd take the lazy route and just copy & past and edit here.

Dang Finks! Oh wait... I'm the one who played this card this weekend. Cool.
Friday night I did a casual draft with some folks I know from around town. A guy bought a box and wanted to do some Rochester and Winston drafting. So we did that. Winston seemed to have too much variance to be any good, and everyone's deck was jank except mine. I had a siiiiiick deck with lots of ETB effects and recursion. One game, I think I Clique'd my opponent like 4 different times. I'd blink a Kitchen Finks or Cloudgoat Ranger, let them die, and then Death Denied them all back to my hand. The Rochester draft was much more "fair," except one guy's nutso Affinity deck, with all the Frogmites and flying artifact enablers .. and an Arcbound Ravager, because it wasn't good enough as it was. I think I had a B/W Rebels deck that had some good stuff, but not much big stuff to really go over the top. Still, lots of fun.

Whattttttttttttt
Sunday I was on Judge duty for the big store-capacity MM draft event. There wasn't really a whole lot to do, since most of the players were pretty experienced. Mostly stuff like forgetting Suspend counters. And pushing in lots of chairs and picking up lots of trash. One guy went 2-0 with a mono-red Storm deck (yes, it really works!). Lots of pretty sweet-looking decks.

Kill your Mulldrifter and Valkyrie it?
Then I got to play in one myself, with free entry as thanks for Judge duting. I first-picked a foil Adarkar Valkyrie and went W/B. I got passed a second (non-foil) Valkyrie in pack two, and I did get to loop them in one game (after which my opponent just scooped). So that's pretty cool. I passed a Glimmervoid for a Path in pack three, not realizing it's like a $15-20 card. That Path was totally worth it, though. Path'ing in response to the Dredge aura thingy, and Path'ing a Stinky Imp were pretty sweet. The rest of my deck was a mishmash of ETB effects and a few Rebels. Kitchen Finks, Cloudgoat Ranger, and Marsh Flitter were all-stars. And Path. :) The only match I lost was to a Tromp the Domains deck. Splashable Overrun. Card's fair. Not.

This is not a fair card in Pack Wars.
But yeah, I won two packs for my efforts. I played Pack Wars with my girlfriend . I had a Sword of Light and Shadow, and she didn't, so I won. The other pack had another Adarkar Valkyrie. So of all the MM I've opened, 3 of my 4 rares are Adarkar Valkyrie. Cool? But hey, the foil one seems to be like a $20 card, so ... yeah. And I got a Sword!

I'm debating what to do with the box I bought. I paid $250 (plus tax) for it, and I'm hesitant to crack it. I've heard horror stories of people cracking them and getting Dragons for mythics. But of course, there's always the 'goyf lottery. I'm thinking I'm gonna hold onto it and sell it on ebay next Modern season. Then take the proceeds and buy my Cryptics and Cliques and Bobs and whatnot.
So .. what's next? Standard tonight. Still planning on playing Junk Rites. Depending on how it goes this week, I may or may not switch it up for next week. We'll see.

Okay .. well, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment