Friday, February 21, 2014

Praise to the God of Elephants

Greetings, and Xenagos Bless.

So I revamped my configuration of the Herd, and I came up with this:

Lands (25):
4 Temple Garden
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Temple of Plenty
3 Temple of Abandon
2 Temple of Triumph
3 Mountain
2 Forest

Elephants (25):
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Fanatic of Xenagos
3 Courser of Kruphix
3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Xenagos, God of Elephants
1 Aurelia, the Warleader

Spells (10):
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Selesnya Charm
3 Domri Rade

Sideboard (15):
2 Wear // Tear
1 Revoke Existence
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Boon Satyr
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Shock
3 Unflinching Courage

And here's how the rounds went:

Seriously, have you read this card?
Round 1: vs. Orzhov Midrange. I brought the beats, and he brought the removal. I think this matchup comes down to who can draw better. Game three, he ran out of removal, and I was able to land an Aurelia and slap Unflinching Courage on her. I won that one. Win, 2-1. Record: 1-0.

Sure, I'll discard my only threat after a mull to 5. Jerk.
Round 2: vs. Mono-Black. Similar matchup, but this time my opponent got the better draw. Game three I had to mull to a hand of four lands and something that got Thoughtseize'd turn 1. The my actual threat got Downfall'd, and the rest was academic. Loss, 1-2. Record: 1-1.

Chromanticore deck??
Round 3: vs. Azorius Midrange (brew). Nice guy, and a cool deck idea (he ran Civic Saber to take advantage of all his multi-colored doodz), and he was able to be tricky with the incessant stampede, but eventually he ran out of stall tactics, and I was able to trample him to death with random dooders. Win, 2-0. Record: 2-1.

Labyrinth's End?
Round 4: vs. Maze's End. Xenagos help me. The problem with this matchup is that I need to try to be a turn ahead of his stall tactics. It's different from normal control decks, because they have to draw well for like 15 turns. With this deck, they only need 3-4 Fogs while they durdle their way through the proverbial maze, and then they literally just win. This is kind of a unique matchup in which I don't know if there's much I can do except try to get pressure early and often. Not sure how to go about that. Not sure it's worth bothering too awful much about it. Loss, 1-2. Record: 2-2.

So, some bad luck for the herd, but it was still a good showing. I'm still having fun with the deck, and it's doing well enough, so I think I'll keep honing it. Speaking of which, here's the post-mortem list of bullet-points:


  • I cut the Smiters for Fanatics, and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. They usually can't, or ever even want to counter Smiter, so I figured I'd switch to something that natively has trample, and that helps fuel devotion to the God of Elephants.
  • I moved Chandra to the 'board. There are enough matchups where she's not that great where she wasn't what I wanted to see in Game 1. But she's good enough where there were some matchups I did want to see her. So .. yeah.
  • Courser of Kruphix and Domri is a really cute combo, but that interaction didn't really come up that often. I jammed three of her in my deck with the thought that she'd help me smooth my mana. But I found that I couldn't really rely on that. It's better to use the scrying and Caryatids to do that work, and Courser can smooth out later-game draws (filtering out lands). The lifegain was mostly irrelephant, but in certain matchups, I could see how it'd be nice to have. I think I'll try a 2/2 split. Also, in controllish matchups, giving them free information about everything I'm drawing isn't really where I want to be either (especially since a lot of my gameplan revolves around haste/flash creatures).
  • Xenagos. Definitely a god worthy of our elephantile devotion. I usually end up with a random dooders, and he makes the less threatening ones become less threatening. Sometimes I would have a Voice and a bigger, non-trampler (like Polukranos) on board, and I'd buff the Voice so that they'd be under more pressure not to just chump the huge thing and take 2. But that's another reason why I like Fanatic so much--he has trample! Also, turning him into a creature actually happened in several games. And most of the time it was kinda win-more, but it was good to know that it was an option.
  • Aurelia. Seriously. I think I'm going to try out a second one next week. Probably in the 'board.
  • I'm also glad I put in the second Chained to the Rocks. With the way my deck runs now, I usually don't need it until later in the game anyway, and by then I almost always have a Mountain I can Chain something to (as well as something I want to Chain to it). I think 11 total Mountains is the right number.
  • I'll probably tweak the ratio of Temples. I think 4/3/1 of Abandon/Plenty/Triumph is about right. With Fanatic instead of Smiter, I definitely want red more than white. Sometimes I like the idea of having more temples for more temple-scrying, but I really hate drawing a bunch of temples and being a turn behind all the time. I suppose maybe I could cut a Forest for a fourth Temple of Plenty? But as soon as they start playing Burning Earth again, I'm hosed. D:
Well, that's about it for now. Next time I write, I hope to have something to say about Modern. Until then, thanks for reading, and Xenagos be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment